Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) may make a grant of assistance to a person for a civil proceeding under Commonwealth law if:
- the matter is a Commonwealth civil law matter within the Commonwealth legal aid priorities set out in the
- the matter is not a type for which the Board of VLA has determined that funding is no longer available
- the legal proceedings are to take place in Victoria (the )
- usually, VLA considers the person cannot afford the full cost of private legal services (the )
- the matter and the person meet the .
Commonwealth civil law guidelines
- general civil claims
- social security or other Commonwealth benefits matters
- migration cases
- equal opportunity or discrimination cases
- war veterans' matters
- certain Federal Court or High Court proceedings
- extradition proceedings
- proceedings under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
Reviewed 18 February 2022