Victoria Legal Aid Handbook for Lawyers

Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) may provide a grant of assistance to a person for a possession order application at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) if they are the tenant and the application is due to tenant fault (other than for rent arrears).

Assistance will only be granted where there is a reasonable chance that the matter will succeed.

It is required that no alternative service (such as VLA duty lawyer or other funded service) is available.

Documentary Requirements

Applications under this guideline can only be submitted via the standard grants assessment processExternal Link .

An in-house lawyer or a lawyer on the section 30 referral panel seeking a grant of legal assistance should submit an application via ATLASExternal Link for assessment, including all of the following documents:

Costs payable

Please see Fee Schedule 2, Table AA.

Reviewed 26 April 2023

In this section