- spousal maintenance
- enforcement of a spousal maintenance order
- the following threshold tests are met:
Other mandatory requirements
As well as the requirements set out in Guideline 6.3, additional criteria apply in the following circumstances:
Discharge or vary
If the 'significant change in circumstances' has been caused by the person seeking assistance, VLA will consider the circumstances surrounding that change in deciding whether it is appropriate to make a grant of legal assistance.
Where assistance is sought to discharge or vary a spousal maintenance order, unless the matter is urgent, the lawyer should first consider whether a grant for family dispute resolution should be made.
Enforcement of orders
The following applies to grants of assistance for enforcement proceedings:
- the request for legal assistance should be made without unreasonable delay after the orders have been contravened
- the person requesting assistance for enforcement proceedings must seek a against the other party from the court. For more information, refer to
- VLA treat grants of assistance for enforcement as a for the purposes of . This means that VLA will not include the amount of the grant when calculating the for the substantive matter.
Ongoing assessment that client meets the guidelines
Notes on this guideline
Reviewed 20 April 2023