Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) may make a grant of legal assistance for summary criminal prosecutions that are listed for an Assessment and Referral Court (ARC) List eligibility hearing and/or individual support plan ratification hearing.
VLA will only pay for an ARC List review hearing where there is a real and substantial risk that the person is going to have their individual support plan cancelled or significantly varied.
VLA will not pay for psychiatric/psychological and other reports for matters that are in the ARC List if the report can be prepared by the services of the court.
Applications under this guideline are within the simplified grants assessment process.
Simplified grants assessment process
Lawyers seeking a grant of legal assistance via the should submit an application via , only after ensuring that the following documents are retained on file unless they are requested by VLA for assessment:
- a reference to guideline 1.3
- copies of the charge or charges
- details of the person's mental health issue/s
- a copy of the Court Integrated Services Program report or draft individual support plan
- full details of the person's prior convictions (if any)
- relevant (if a waiver does not apply).
Reviewed 18 February 2022