Privacy complaints

Anyone may complain if they think Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) has interfered with their privacy or failed to protect properly their personal information. See also: Complaints and feedback.

The person should first contact our Internal Legal Services (ILS) team to try to have our organisation directly resolve the complaint.

ILS may be contacted by telephone on (03) 9280 3789 or by email to

Special help is available

If the person has special language requirements or needs help because of a disability, then we will offer help by using an interpreter or disability support worker.

Further investigation by our organisation

If ILS cannot resolve the complaint directly, then they will ask the person to put their complaint in writing. We will then:

  • investigate the complaint to find out if there has been a breach of its statutory obligations
  • tell the person about the progress of the investigation
  • tell the person about the outcome of the investigation
  • if there has been a breach, remedy the breach, including giving an apology to the person or taking other appropriate action and attempting to ensure that a similar breach does not occur in again.

Complaint to the Victorian Privacy Commissioner

If the complainant is unhappy with the result of our investigation, then they may contact the Victorian Privacy Commissioner.

The Privacy Commissioner may:

  • arrange conciliation of the complaint
  • determine the complaint if conciliation is not possible.

See the Privacy Victoria website for more details.