Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) may make a grant of legal assistance for summary criminal prosecutions that are listed for an Assessment and Referral Court (ARC) List eligibility hearing and/or individual support plan ratification hearing.
VLA will only pay for an ARC List review hearing where there is a real and substantial risk that the person is going to have their individual support plan cancelled or significantly varied.
VLA will not pay for psychiatric/psychological and other reports for matters that are in the ARC List if the report can be prepared by the services of the court.
Lawyers seeking a grant of legal assistance under this guideline should submit an application via , only after ensuring that the following documents are retained on file unless they are requested by VLA for assessment:
- a reference to guideline 1.3
- copies of the charge or charges
- details of the person's mental health issue/s
- a copy of the Court Integrated Services Program report or draft individual support plan
- full details of the person's prior convictions (if any)
- relevant (if a waiver does not apply).
Reviewed 03 April 2023