On this page:
The ATLAS user guides are a step-by-step guides to help you use the most common functions in ATLAS.
We also run regular training sessions to help practitioners use the ATLAS system.
- – how to notify VLA of the preferred counsel for trial and how to request assistance for Senior Counsel
- – how to submit a new application for legal assistance on behalf of a client
- – how to retrieve a draft or partially completed application or extension, and how to submit it
- – how to submit an extension for further legal assistance
- – how to request that a grant of assistance be transferred OUT to another practitioner. This would most usually occur when a conflict of interest arises
- ATLAS Transfer IN (doc, 930 KB) – how to request that a grant of assistance be transferred IN from another practitioner. This would most usually occur when a client requests that you take over the conduct of their matter
- – how to submit an application for reconsideration of a decision or condition relating to a grant of legal assistance
- – how to submit an application for independent review of a decision that has been internally reconsidered by Victoria Legal Aid
- – how to report on the outcome of a grant of assistance when the matter is completed
- Changes to the ATLAS criminal law templates from 1 August 2016 and download the new Panel practitioner guide to ATLAS Criminal Law templates.
– describes changes to and provides information about completing:
- the Simplified Process – Committal Mention and/or plea to the County Court application form
- the Simplified Process – Committal Mention and/or plea to the Supreme Court application form
- the Simplified Process – Indictable Crime – Trial application form
- the Submit Correspondence function
- the File Outcome function.
- – how to check details of a file such as the status of the grant of assistance and the scope of aid, and how to obtain a list of approved ATLAS files assigned to your office
- – how to provide relevant information to Victoria Legal Aid about the grant of aid. Correspondence should not be sent by post, DX or facsimile
- – how to elect whether client correspondence from Victoria Legal Aid is to be sent to the practitioner only
- – describes changes to the 'Submit Claims' screen
- – how to pay a barrister directly from ATLAS
- – how to pay VLA Chambers’ advocates from ATLAS
- – how to submit a claim to Victoria Legal Aid for payment
- – how to complete the Costs Indemnified section when submitting a claim for payment
- – how to retrieve, update and submit a claim or how to delete a claim
- – how to obtain details of an invoice such as status, the amounts available and claimed, and a submitted claim and payment details
- – how to notify Victoria Legal Aid of changes to client details
- – how to respond to requests from Victoria Legal Aid for further information regarding an application for assistance
Reviewed 19 April 2023